Saturday, November 12, 2011

2011 Holiday Letter

Greetings and Salutations once again Friends, Romans, Countrymen Family and Random Internet Stalkers!

Well, here we are, another year older, and hopefully a little bit wiser. I hope this digital letter finds you all fabulous and happy!

2011 was filled with highs, lows, tears, and, most importantly, lots of laughs for me.

One of my first adventures this year was to bitch my way up, I mean, walk up a mountain. I participated in Climb to Conquer Cancer at South Mountain with a team from work and despite it being a bazillion degrees in February, I made it up to the top. My friend Lori and I gabbed (and huffed) and made each other laugh the whole way up. It was a great event that I’m glad I participated in. I liked it so much, I even did a second cancer walk later in the year– but more about that in a few.

At work, I continued to push the envelope but eventually made it off promotional probation. I would have to say one of my greatest achievements at work this year was not one of several well-thought out, easy to understand presentations for City Council or City Management that I helped create, or the fundraising I organized for a coworker, or helping my team become more cohesive, but winning second place in the Blindfolded Golf Cart Derby at the annual MSA Maintenance Rodeo held in the spring. Yes, I actually competed (and placed) in a competition where I was blindfolded and drove a golf cart around a course, directed only by my coworker’s verbal instructions (“break,” “gas,” “hard left,” “you just dragged a cone 50 feet,” “yes, they are laughing at you,”etc). I do honestly love my job.

In April, Mamala and I headed to Laughlin for her employer’s annual awards celebration. I am so proud to tell you that my mom was recognized as the Family Service Counselor of the Year. This was the event’s highest award and all of her hard work paid off.

I had never been to Laughlin before and I completely admit to falling in love with that place. It is totally my speed. As much fun as Vegas can be, sometimes it’s a little much for me. Laughlin was full of people who were in no hurry to go anywhere and had very little interest in “being seen.” Of course, my fondness with this place could also be due to the fact that I won $100 on the first machine I played… Regardless, Laughlin: I will return.

Sadly, there were no official Argyle Sock Adventure Club adventures this year. Sue and I just weren’t able to get around to organizing official adventures, just random adventures sans argyle socks. A few of our argyle sock-less adventures included going up to Bartlett Lake with our friend Karen.

The first time we went, I had no idea just how much fun we were going to have. As a City girl who has an affinity for SPF 100 and a fear of getting dirty, I wasn’t sure “the lake” had much to offer me.

I. Was. Wrong.

The joke was that Sue would be Karen’s “boat bitch” and I would just be there to “supervise” (ie: do nothing). As it turns out, I was the boat bitch, learning from Cap’n Karen how to properly prepare the boat for launch and getting it on the water. Both Sue and Karen were shocked at just how eager I was to be the boat bitch. Imagine how surprised I was!

I had so much fun the whole time and was even convinced to get on an inner tube to be dragged around the river. I got off to quite an auspicious start though. As Karen accelerated, I watched my feet come over my head and realized I was being flipped out of the inner tube. Thank God dear Sue was there to tell Karen I was in the water – once she was able to catch her breath from laughing hysterically. The three of us made it on the water three different times this year – and I’m already excited for next boat season!

In June, I was reunited with my childhood loves. I was able to go see the New Kids on the Block – and another band you may have heard of: Backstreet Boys (I was always an NSYNC girl, but those Boys were alright, I guess). There are some of you reading this who will recall my Ob-Sesh-Un with the best New Kid out there: Jordan Knight. I’m proud to say 20 years later, I’m still that much in love with him. I had to hold the hand of a stranger when the guys took the stage (because Sue was gone at that moment) and I’m not ashamed of that fact. She was very kind and squeezed my hand with almost as much excitement.

It was SO funny to see an arena full of women my age acting like a bunch of fools over 40+ year old guys singing about Hanging Tough and the Right Stuff, but I admit that the concert was by far one of the best I’ve ever been to. The guys put on an amazing show, sounded just as they did 20 years ago, and interacted with the audience the whole time. Finally, whether you liked NKOTB or BSB, you’ve got to admit they’re sorta brilliant. They got our parents’ hard earned money a couple of decades ago – and now they’re getting ours. Those tickets (and the shirt) were worth every penny!

This summer, I made it back to Denver. I have so many dear friends there, I was delighted to get up there and reconnect with them all. My first night there, we had a girls-only sleepover at my friend Nanna’s house. We stayed up late (because I got in late) and watched scary movies, ate snacks, and laughed into the very early morning hours.

The next evening, Nanna and her sister Susan escorted me out the next night to experience downtown Denver’s nightlife. We started off at a whisky bar for appetizers – where I discovered that I happen to love mojitos (yes, I ordered a mojito at a whisky bar). We then went to the restaurant that my good friend Mina works at and I ate the most delicious chicken and waffles. Afterwards, we headed over to a seriously cool bar called the Green Russell. We had a lovely evening full of divulging secrets (wink, wink) and laughing loudly for many hours.

The next day Mina, Nanna, and I headed over to the Denver County Fair. Mina had never been to a fair, so we had a mission to indoctrinate her into the glory of all things fair. We required fried foods, animals, rides, midway games, and cotton candy. I am proud to say we met all our goals and had a wonderful time just being silly. That evening, I met up with more friends for a great dinner and laughed for a few more hours. The next day, I met up with a friend of mine who I’ve known pretty much forever. We had a delicious brunch and caught up. Afterwards, I returned to Phoenix and was welcomed home by one of our many haboobs (fact: the word “haboob” will make me laugh every time I say it).

I had such a wonderful time in Denver, I quickly made plans to return – but not many people knew about that trip. More about that in a few.

In September, Mamala and I headed up to one of my favorite places on earth: Seattle, Washington. We went up there to celebrate my 31st (oh dear God! How did I get to be 31!?!?!?) birthday with her baby sister (my aunt) and her studly hubby (my uncle). I had a lovely seafood birthday dinner right on the water and loved every second of it. The next day, the four of us headed up to the North Cascades and stayed in a rustic cabin right off of the Skagit River. It was beautiful up there – but remarkably “hot” for that part of the country. The highs got up to 85 degrees, which doesn’t sound too bad to any Phoenician, but was admittedly a little warm to us desert rats since there wasn't any air conditioning. The poor Washingtonians were miserably hot. But we survived. We spent a few nights up there exploring the “American Alps,” feeding bunnies, and chasing deer.

We returned to Port Orchard for a night before heading back to Phoenix and my vacation officially ended when the fold out couch I was camped on tried to eat me. For the record: my aunt was much more worried about me than my own mother. Instead of helping me out of my predicament, my mother rushed to get the camera while laughing, hoping to catch me flailing about.

I was in Phoenix for six days before I was back in the air. This time it was for my secret return trip to Denver. You see, when I was out with Susan and Nanna, and Nanna stepped away, Susan told me about a surprise party she was throwing for Nanna’s 30th birthday and asked if there was any way I could make it back up. I told Susan that I’d have to consult my bank balance but if there was any way I could do it, I would do it.

Somehow the stars aligned because I was able to get everything I needed within my remarkably low price range. Unfortunately, in order to afford it all, I was only able to be in town for less than 24 hours. But that was all I needed.

The evening of Nanna’s party, I met up with Susan and her girls as they prepared the venue and helped as much as I could in a pink denim skirt and an off the shoulder knotted tee. We were all dressed in our finest 80s garb as it was an 80s themed party (since Nanna was born in the 80s. Get it?). Nanna’s friends trickled in, the band got set up, and I found out that adult Slurpees are amazing. Nanna’s husband Hans (who was in on the surprise party) got Nanna to the venue and she walked in to about 30 people screaming “SURPRISE” dressed up like they stepped out of the 80s. She was surprised to say the least… and then I grabbed her and she screamed “YOU WERE JUST HERE!” while we hugged and screamed. It was such a fun evening and I’m so glad I was able to make it up there even if the early plane ride home was an exercise in hangover management.

In October, I completed my second cancer walk. This one was Making Strides Against Breast Cancer at Tempe Town Lake. This one was on relatively level ground and was only three miles versus five. My waking buddy Lori and I again laughed the entire time. I liked that walk so much better than five miles up a mountain. Again, I walked with a team from work and it was pretty awe-inspiring to see the droves of people all walking for the same cause. I think the Climb to Conquer Cancer and Making Strides Against Breast Cancer will become annual traditions for me since I do enjoy them. That being said, if you happen to go to one of these events with me, I am warning you: I bitch the ENTIRE time.

Since then, I have been living la vida loca-as the kids say. The adventures described above by no means cover all my fun exploits. I had so much fun this year with so many people that it’s hard to describe it all.

For those who are wondering, my furry boys still drive me crazy but I love them nonetheless. Elvis’ valley fever is slowly improving but he still requires daily medication. I keep waiting for him to stop acting like a puppy, but he’s as still hyper and naughty as he’s ever been. Sinatra is still an asshole. But there’s nothing new there.

I’m not sure what 2012 has in store for me. I truly doubt that the world is coming to an end. If it does, I hope to go out with a bang. So, if you know of any nice fellas, send them my way! ;)

I hope that the next year brings you all blessings and more fun than you know what to do with!

No comments:

Post a Comment